Thursday, January 5, 2012

Paying it forward

I want this year to be the year of "paying it forward" for myself and my family.  After taking financial peace university, it really stuck with me that as a Christian it is part of my responsibility to care for widows and orphans. God has put this on my heart with specifics in mind.  The specific I want to talk about is a new blog buddy that has come into my life.  Reading her story really touched me and since then I have been praying for her and her daughter.  I don't really know this woman.  The only contact we've had is through following each others' blogs, twitter and email.  We haven't met in person.  She lives in North Carolina and I live in the state of Washington.

I've always wanted to help others in any way I can.  I don't have money at this point to give to non-profits or other organizations.  However, I do have this blog and I know a few people read it.



My new blog buddy is Leah Gillen and she's a widow with a teenage daughter.  Her husband committed suicide this past May.  Through her blog she's been writing about her journey of grief.  I was thinking recently: "Well, how can I come alongside her in this journey and maybe encourage or bring a little joy in this hard time?"

I have this idea, not everyone will join in on it and that is ok.  It is called Project Gillen and I'm hoping friends, family and strangers will join in on the project.  I would like people to sign up for a specific month to encourage Leah and her daughter in whatever way they want.  It could be encouraging words, a package filled with goodies of some sort, or a note saying I'm praying for you.  I'd love for people to be creative and send me pictures of their creativity! 

If this is something you're interested in, please go to this page: Project Gillen

2 comments: