Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Makeover: Postpartum PT

After having a baby it is a challenge to get workouts in.  And, even more of a challenge with back issues.  My body just doesn't do well recovering from a pregnancy and it takes time. I'm hoping tomorrow to add in some bike riding, but I've barely had time to get my pt exercises done.

I have almost been in physical therapy for 1 month.  I'm starting to feel like I'm gaining some strength!  Although, I'm pretty sure I did too much this week because my back has been sore, and not necessarily a good sore. I see my physical therapist tomorrow.

My pt exercises consist of:

bridges...lots and lots of bridges (I've decided this is a form of torture ;-)
planks and more planks (double ugh, this is tough after having a baby!!)


Those are the main exercises, which means there's always a way for it to be modified as I get stronger.  None of the above exercises have ever been used in my physical therapy in the past, which makes me hopeful that they might just work.  It also means I'm destined to be doing all those exercises for the REST. OF. MY. LIFE.  But, hey, if it works it will be worth all the pain and hard work.  I'm ready to be able to function without back pain.



The above video shows you how to do a bridge(if the video isn't loading or showing click HERE) .  I don't do mine that slow, but at least you will get the proper technique.  That is the basic bridge, which is what I started with.  I have now graduated to crossing my arms while doing the bridge which does make it more challenging.  There are many ways to torture modify, but for now that's what I'm focusing on.

I'll update you when I have more time this month...the next few weeks are a bit busy!



No comments:

Post a Comment