Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Speaker Spotlight: Patsy Clairmont

I know, it’s been a while since I attended the Women of Faith conference, but I feel like there was so much goodness wrapped into 2 days that I need to focus on as many speakers as I can in individual posts.  And, with all that goodness, I needed time to soak it all in!
Patsy


Ok, so back to Patsy.  I LOVED this feisty woman.  I totally wanted to have lunch and coffee with her...to spend one on one time with her and gain more wisdom from her life experiences.  I never had a Christian grandmother, so if I had the opportunity to choose one, yup, she'd be the winner!   God speaking through her touched my soul in a way that words cannot express.  She was a breath of fresh air in the land of mommy hood, where life can sometimes be taken too seriously.  The tools she presented I will continue to use for sanity in daily life.

Quotable quotes:
I’m not weird, I’m a limited edition
Pop your pills in Jesus name.
(for those who haven't heard her speak, I'll explain this later)
Life is messy
People are textured
God is mysterious
People come in and out of your life for a purpose.  Rejoice in what you learn from them.
Change can be good

Tools I took away from a weekend of hearing from Patsy:

*Since fear loves to show up when we least expect it: refuse, replace, repeat.  Refuse impure thoughts (aka anxiety, negative self talk, etc). Replace with a better thought and look to God.  Memorize scripture and internalize.
1.     
Say yes every morning
Patsy said she isn’t a morning person and doesn’t wake up with a cheery disposition like those who wake up ready for the day.  Learning to say yes to God even in those early mornings when you just wanna stay a grump can be difficult.  However, it will start the day off right. And, believe me, I’m no morning person! Definitely something I need to work on...

*   Learn to say no.  No is a complete sentence.
Setting boundaries is good for us, which in many cases, means saying no.  Many of us feel we need to say no with an explanation.  Sometimes less is more.  No one needs to know your life story when you are just saying no and setting boundaries for yourself.

Now, to explain: Pop your pills in Jesus name.  She is referring to getting help if you are dealing with depression, anxiety or any type of mental illness.  We should be thankful we live in a day and age in which we have medicine to help with chemical imbalances.  Basically get help if you are stuck!

Thanks Patsy, many of the things you shared confirmed what God has been teaching me since becoming a mom!  I'm forever grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment